St. Catherine wheel window, twelve feet in diameter,
in the upper part of the gable of the south transept
of the Arbroath Abbey. It was placed over the altar
of St. Catherine, which stood in the south transept.
This prominent window is so associated with Arbroath
in the minds of its townsmen that its namethe
Round Ois occasionally used as a name for the
The window, which can be seen a long way off at sea,
is a welcome landmark to sailors and fishermen.
'Round about the Round O with its Poets', 1883.
(WILLIAM THE LION)
- reigned as King of Scotland from 1165 to 1214. His
reign was the longest in Scottish history. He became
King following his brother Malcolm IV's death on 9
December 1165 and was crowned on 24 December 1165.
Traditionally, William founded Arbroath Abbey, the
site of the later Declaration of Arbroath. He became
known as "the Lion" because of his flag
or standard, a red lion rampant on a yellow background.
This went on to become the Royal standard of Scotland;
the British Monarch when in Scotland still uses it
today. The rampant lion also forms part of the Royal
Standard of the United Kingdom.
The Arbroath Abbey became the burial place
of William the Lion.