narrative on print and detailed areas (bottom of
Regarding the preservation of the Arbroath Abbey 'the
work was begun with the remaining transept, which
was repaired in 1815, and the circular window, the
'Round O,' which had sunk somewhat in the head, was
taken down and rebuilt.' The area of the church was
cleared from the accumulated rubbish of centuries.
Previous to the operations of the Woods and Forests
Commissioners, the floor of the Abbey Church was piled
up with vast mounds, consisting of the fallen ruins,
over which there had accumulated a soil, in which
a number of ash trees grew. The clearing out of the
area of the church was completed in 1835.
The drawings by John Adam,
Edinburgh. Reproduced by Amand Durand, Paris 1880.
Commentary extracted from 'Round about the Round O
with its poets', 1883.
CAN PURCHASE THIS PRINT IN OUR PRINT
THE COMPLETE SET OF EIGHT ABBEY PRINTS ARE AVAILABLE
AS A SET AT A SPECIAL PRICE