Round about the Round-O 1880. Arbroath's yesteryear in print
 

email us
homefeatured printthe artistthe engravingsRembrandta Scottish brandarchive
Arbroath Abbey_-_GO BACK TO CONTINUE SHOPPING Back

PRINT CODE - 001

001

'The Abbey, the Round O'

(Small - 9" x 9" embossed giclée print)
£14.99 G.B.P. (approx. $27 U.S.D.)



(Large - 17.5" x 14" embossed giclée print)
£24.99 G.B.P. (approx. $45 U.S.D.)


NARRATIVE ON PRINT - The Round O - A St. Catherine wheel window, twelve feet in diameter, in the upper part of the gable of the south transept of the Abbey. It was placed over the altar of St. Catherine, which stood in the south transept. This prominent window is so associated with Arbroath in the minds of its townsmen that its name—the Round O—is occasionally used as a name for the town.

The window, which can be seen a long way off at sea, is a welcome landmark to sailors and fishermen. On the road from Beechwood to St. Vigeans, at a point near the road leading to Letham House, the Bell Rock Lighthouse, fourteen miles distant, can be seen through the centre of the Round O.
(Notes by George Hay, 1883)
top
visa, mastercard, delta, electron, switch, solo, echeck, american express
For your security
shop powered by
PayPal
newslettershopping guidecontact uslinkssite mapcopyright



The Round-O




HomeFeatured printThe artistThe engravingsRembrandtA Scottish brandPrint shopArchive
Newsletter
Shopping GuideContact usLinksSite MapCopyright



Website designed and built by Dreambox® Design, Fine Art and Publishing © 2004. All rights reserved. Tel. 01241 870355.