Round about the Round-O 1880. Arbroath's yesteryear in print
 

email us
homefeatured printthe artistthe engravingsRembrandta Scottish brandarchive
Round about the Brothock_-_GO BACK TO CONTINUE SHOPPING Back

PRINT CODE - 004

004

'Arbroath, from beyond Hays Well'

(Small - 9" x 9" embossed giclée print)
£14.99 G.B.P. (approx. $27 U.S.D.)




(Large - 18.5"x14" embossed giclée print)
£24.99 G.B.P. (approx. $45 U.S.D.)


NARRATIVE ON PRINT - Hays Well derives its name from 'The Hays,' formerly meadow lands, situated to the east of the Abbey precinct. The present well, which was erected in 1841, by public subscription, took the place of an older structure. The Abbey was supplied with water from springs in the Hays.

The water was conveyed in a two-inch lead pipe, a piece of which was recovered during the excavations that were being made in the neighbourhood of the Abbey Green in March 1879. The water was carried to a handsome reservoir, which stood a little south of the Abbey Church—about the Abbey Green—and which is said to have been destroyed about the beginning of the eighteenth century by the Rev. John Ferguson, minister of Arbroath, who constructed a tomb for himself with its stones. About the year 1779 the tomb was in turn demolished by order of the Magistrates, who appropriated its materials to build a cell in connection with a Town House and prison which they erected in 1780.
(Notes by George Hay, 1883)
top
visa, mastercard, delta, electron, switch, solo, echeck, american express
For your security
shop powered by
PayPal
newslettershopping guidecontact uslinkssite mapcopyright



The Round-O




HomeFeatured printThe artistThe engravingsRembrandtA Scottish brandPrint shopArchive
Newsletter
Shopping GuideContact usLinksSite MapCopyright



Website designed and built by Dreambox® Design, Fine Art and Publishing © 2004. All rights reserved. Tel. 01241 870355.