Round about the Round-O 1880. Arbroath's yesteryear in print
 

email us
homefeatured printthe artistthe engravingsRembrandta Scottish brandarchive
Round about the Brothock_-_GO BACK TO CONTINUE SHOPPING Back

PRINT CODE - 013

013

'High Street : the Town House'

(Small - 9" x 9" embossed giclée print)
£14.99 G.B.P. (approx. $27 U.S.D.)



(Large - 17.5" x 14" embossed giclée print)
£24.99 G.B.P. (approx. $45 U.S.D.)


NARRATIVE ON PRINT - The Town House, the building in the picture surmounted by a flagstaff, is the same that Scott makes mention of in 'The Antiquary' as the 'new Council House.' It was erected in 1808. But it has undergone some modifications since then, the principal of which was the removal, in 1844, of an outside stair by which access to it was obtained, and the addition of a wing, with an arched pend beneath, connecting it with the Guild Hall, or Guildry Buildings.

This latter, the building shown in the picture with the carriage opposite it, is the one which was burned down in October 1880, and has been replaced by a more ornate structure. It was on the ground floor of this building, then used as a prison, that Sands and Mealmaker, of the 'Friends of Liberty' organisation, were temporarily detained in 1794.
(Notes by George Hay, 1883)
top
visa, mastercard, delta, electron, switch, solo, echeck, american express
For your security
shop powered by
PayPal
newslettershopping guidecontact uslinkssite mapcopyright



The Round-O




HomeFeatured printThe artistThe engravingsRembrandtA Scottish brandPrint shopArchive
Newsletter
Shopping GuideContact usLinksSite MapCopyright



Website designed and built by Dreambox® Design, Fine Art and Publishing © 2004. All rights reserved. Tel. 01241 870355.