ON PRINT - The foundation-stone of the lighthouse
was laid on Sunday, 10th July 1808, and the
work was completed early in 1811, the light
being exhibited for the first time on the
night of 1st February in that year.
From the foundation to the top of the lantern,
the tower is 115 feet high, 42 feet in diameter
at the base, and 15 feet at the top. It contains
six apartments. The light revolves, and is
red and white alternately. Two large bells
with which the tower is supplied are constantly
tolled, night and day, in foggy weather, by
the same machinery that moves the lights.
Since the construction of the lighthouse,
no vessel has been lost on the Inchcape Rock.
by George Hay, 1883)