ON PRINT - The Mawkin Pool is not the Wardmill
Dam but the broad part of the Brothock at
Almerieclose Bridge. 'The milldam still known
by the name of the "Mawkin Pool"
is mentioned in 1457 as the "Water of
Brothac, vulgarly called Malkynnis Pril,"
a mode of expression which leads to the belief
that the name is derived from the person who
first formed the dam or pool for the service
of the burgh mill. This may have been the
father or other relative of Walter Makinis
or Makwnys, a notary public who acted as clerk
to the Abbey Chapter in the years 1494 and
1495. A John Makwnis is also named as a witness
to an Abbey charter on 25th September 1497.'
by George Hay, 1883)