ON PRINT - Kelly Castle is built on a rocky
eminence on the west bank of the Elliot, about
a mile below the church and village of Arbirlot.
It is a fine specimen of the old Scottish
baronial tower, and a striking object overlooking
the beautifully wooded landscape of Kelly
The date of the construction of the castle
is unknown. The lands of Kelly were possessed
by Walter, the Lord High Steward, son-in-law
to King Robert the Bruce. Dr. Stuart, the
editor of the 'Registrum de Panmure,' states
in that work that Kelly came into the possession
of the Ouchterlonys about the middle of the
fifteenth century, and for a time the lands
were called by the name of their new owners.
(Notes by George Hay, 1883)